Spent the day home from work, as instructed by the doctors. Right now and up to this Sunday they said I should avoid other people. Not to protect me, but to protect them FROM me. Yesterday the nuclear physicist, JR, measured the amount of radiation coming off of me using a Geiger counter. If you've ever heard one of those things, probably on TV shows or movies, you'll know it usually sounds like a series of clicking noises. When he turned that thing on about 1 yard from me there were so many clicks it sounded like one continuous, loud hissing noise. Wow! That's like a story out of a comic book superhero series where a bad guy gets nuked. But, I promise to use my powers for good, not evil.
I feel fine. It was near torture staying in the house all day. The temp got up to about 70 or better, calm wind, perfect for fishing, BUT I CAN'T LEAVE THE HOUSE. I am able to access my work email from home so I worked a bit, watched TV, read magazines and visited many fishing websites. And, my iPod has a fishing game on it that I played a few times. That's about as close as I'll get to actually fishing for a couple of weeks.
Dr. Anglin, a new recruit in my Army of Doctors, said yesterday that my blood counts will decline over the next few weeks. In about 4 to 5 weeks the counts should start coming back up. In the meantime, I may have to get a transfusion or two if the counts get too low. He said platelets will probably go down first, then white blood cells, then red blood cells. I'm eating healthy portions of red meat and other iron rich food to try to keep the counts as high as possible.
My plans for tomorrow include reading work email, reading magazines, watching TV and visit many fishing websites. Oh, and I'll play the fishing game on my iPod. I can't wait.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Hey, Scottman. I was reading your latest treatment to Luke and he said he plays "Fallout 3" where the whole state has been radiated by a nuclear bomb. When you walk around, the radiation meter starts ticking so he knows what you're talking about! You ought to borrow Jarrett's X-box 360 and go on-line with Luke to this nuclear site! Luke was amazed you were getting nuclear radiation for your cancer!Keep us posted on the latest updates!
Hi Patty! Tell Luke I AM the game. I could probably stick my finger in a hole on the TV and play the game without the box.
You and Luke be careful that you don't wipe us off the face of the earth. I don't even have a fallout shelter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is your Mama talking.
Squatty: Like I said earlier, we keep getting "power surges" here in Texas. We want to come visit you guys but will have to wait until you are "clear"!!!
Hey Scott - The Woody's say - "Stay with them" Sounds like you have a great positive approach and I truly believe that is 90% of the battle.
Your sense of humor runs in the family, we have benefited from your folks great sense for a long time. Take care of yourself and you will be back to the fishing hole in no time.
The Woody's
Hi, Mom! Come on down, Linda and Sam! Thanks, Woody's!
Hey, Scott!! Glad to hear you haven't lost your sense of humor!! Learned all about I-131 today in Chemistry- (it's Environmental)- I keep picturing OK looking like Chernobyl with all that Geiger talk!! It's weird the parallels I keep having..I'm grateful that you are doing well...and have such a nice glow about you...Hi Teresa, Auntie...
kimmie
Post a Comment