Had my first dose of Bexxar today, and it was pretty uneventful. Met a new member of my Army of Doctors. J.R. (an Indian with an alphabet sized and spelled name) is now my Nuclear Physicist. Also met Eric, the Nuke Med Tech, who injected the Iodine 131 (the radioactive part of Bexxar). And met Brian, the RN who sets up my IV and checks my vitals. First, I get Tylenol and Benadryl. They offset the potential side effects of the Tositumomab, the monoclonal antibody that finds and sticks to cancer cells. Then about an hour to get the Tositumomab in me. Then the fun part. They rolled in a little cart with a lead lined "suitcase" on it. That case had a syringe with the I-131. After some preparation, they rigged the syringe to inject into my IV. The funny part is when Brian and Eric finished rigging it up, they turned on the machine that injects the I-131, then both of them quickly left the room like they had just lit the fuse on a stick of dynamite. And there I am in the room all by myself. I felt like Wile E. Coyote when he realizes one of his gadgets is about to explode on him. The techs and nurses are around that stuff a lot so they have to limit the amount of time they are exposed to it.
Worst side effect so far? Sleepy from the Benadryl. Right now I feel fine.
Next step is a Gamma scan this Monday to see how much of this stuff is still in me.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Reassuring, isn't it, when the medical professionals flee the scene? As long as it works, though, rock on. I'm glad it went well. I'm glad you feel ok. It's weird, in Med-Surg (a nursing class) We talked about NHL yesterday and I tisitumobab and Y ibritumobab (and others..) ironic..
anyhoo, talk to ya later..love you, Hi Teresa
Kimmie
Hey, Scott. How long did it take to inject the I-131? How are you feeling today? Are you glowing? Just so ya know, we're thinking of ya! Hugs, Pat
Pat, the I-131 took about 30 minutes. I don't really glow but lights come on in every room I'm in, and I don't have to turn on the switch.
Scott
Any hopes of coming out of this with any cool super powers? I mean, Spiderman was just bit by a radioactive spider, you actually had a full injection of the stuff. Come one, that should at least get you super strength or something! All kidding aside, I'm glad they are being so aggresive with this. Keep the updates coming! -Heather
Glad things are going good Scott.
I bet you wonder why everyone runs from you!!!
Take care.
Rod, Kathy and Nicole
Post a Comment