Tuesday, February 17, 2009

A Freakin' Miracle of Modern Medicine

Well...not really, but the doctors were very impressed so far with the results after treatment. They were a bit surprised that the side effects have been so mild. But, my blood counts recently have shown noticeable declines, particularly platelets. They warned that there still could be side effects to come if a trend develops in lowering blood counts. Platelets dropped the most, down to 61 from 184. The normal range is 140 to 300. They said if that keeps dropping and reaches 20 I'll have to get a platelet transfusion. White blood count is down a bit below normal, but not bad. Red blood cells have barely moved and are still in the normal range. That's all based on results from this weeks blood work.

I had the PET scan this morning but the results were not in to the doctors by the time of my visits. They'll call me in a couple of days when they get them. Dr. Thompson, the radiation oncologist was downright flabbergasted at the short time it took for the lump to disappear. He said he's never seen a tumor shrink that fast. He pushed and poked all over me looking for a lump but found none.

Anyhoo, I sure am happy with the results so far and so are the docs. I'll keep posting updates about once a week until the blood counts start moving up. I might make stuff up just to make it exciting.

Aunt Janny, your comment post worked! You figured it out! Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news Scott!!! That is really awesome. Hope you continue to get the blood working and you will be fishing before long. Just in time for spring!!!

Tell Teresa Hi from all of us and we will send more prayers up for you guys.

Love you all. Kathy, Rod and Nicole

Anonymous said...

Whooo hoooo!!!!! you GO, Scott!!

Love Kimmie