Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Benadryl Sucks

Got my platelet transfusion Friday. I thought I would stroll in, sit in a comfy recliner, have blood drawn, test and type the blood, then get pumped up with a nice, tasty bag of fresh platelets. That's what happened, except for one little extra step. Benadryl. Following is the nearly exact exchange between the nurse and me after learning of the need for benadryl.

"That is given to counteract potential adverse reactions to the new platelets", said the infusion nurse.

"What potential adverse reactions?", asked the patient (me).

"Probably none", replied the nurse.

"Then why the Benadryl?", quizzed the patient.

"In case there is a reaction.", said the nurse.

"Like what?", asked the patient.

"Oh, probably nothing at all", answered the nurse.

"Then let's skip the benadryl!", exclaimed the patient.

"No, we can't do that in case there may be an adverse reaction", said the nurse.

"WHAT REACT...never mind, load me up", sighed the patient.

Benadryl makes me sleepy. I don't like to be sleepy. So, nap time for Scotty. After the benadryl and platelets, Teresa led me to the car. I took a 2 minute nap, standing up, while the parking attendant got the car. In the car, 15 minute nap while Teresa drove to Jessica's office. Nap in the waiting room while waiting for Jessica to finish with something. Went to Olive Garden for lunch. Nap with my head resting on my hands, trying not to drop my face in the spaghetti and meatballs. Back in the car. "Got to go to the mall", says Teresa. "Find a sunny spot to park the car", says Scott, "I'll wait". At the mall, nap in the car. Teresa gets back in the car. "One more stop", she says. "Sunny spot", I says. More nap. Teresa gets back in the car. "Going home now", she says. "Good night", I says.

Anyway, got my blood work results a little bit ago. Platelets are up to 48 from 20, that's good. White blood and hemoglobin (red) are unchanged from last Thursdays test. So, I'm wondering if I'm on the way back up.

Got to go back to work. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm....nap....

Anonymous said...

After reading Scott's blog and Marks reply I said to Mother " Those boys are clever, just like their Father. " She said " Oh,,did you know him?"

So maybe they take after their Mother.

Dad

Scott Wilson said...

Now that's funny, Dad. Maybe you can introduce me to him someday...if you know him.
Scott

Anonymous said...

I've always had this strange urge to deliver mail....hmmm.

Anonymous said...

These 2 apples didn't fall too far from the tree. Feel sorry for their Mom.
The Woodys

Anonymous said...

Dear Scott,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE, MOM

Anonymous said...

Happy BDay Scottie!!

M.